There is no other city like Athens, where the ancient and the contemporary mix so harmoniously together. When it comes to leisure and fun, the city offers its visitors countless choices that leave no wish unfulfilled. Athens has it all: beach, big-city charm, delicious food, endless shopping opportunities, museums, history and fascinating traditions.
We bring you the top 25 things you must do when in Athens:
1. Visit the Acropolis Museum and have lunch at their restaurant. Trust us, you’re in for a treat – this restaurant is currently among the top 5 museum restaurants in the world!
2. Stroll through the historic district of Plaka. For a spectacular panoramic view of the city, climb Lycabettus Hill. You won’t be disappointed!
3. Walk the street of Dionysiou Areopagitou from Acropolis to Keramikos and get a glimpse of the ancient ruins.
4. Head over to Ermou St. and indulge in a little shopping. Here you can also visit the beautiful 11th century church of Kapnikarea.
5. Watch the sun set over the sea in Kastella.
6. Stop for lunch at one of the restaurants near the port of Mikrolímano and enjoy a fresh seafood platter.
7. Spend a day relaxing at the beach in Flisvos.
8. Discover the Panathenaic Stadium, the place where the first modern Olympic Games took place.
9. Enjoy local delicacies such as Gyros, Pikilia and Ouzo at the popular Thanasis tavern located right in the northeast corner of Monastiraki Square.
10.The bakery Ta Serbetia stou Psyrri makes some of the best traditional desserts in town. Our favorites: Baklava, Kataifi, Samali and Revani.
11. Have a coffee in Kolonaki Square and observe the passersby.
12. Spend Sunday morning at the flea market in Monastiraki Square. You’re sure to find some great trinkets!
13. Fancy swimming, sunbathing or snorkeling? No problem, Athens has some spectacular beaches.
14. Climb Kap Sounion, visit the marble temple dedicated to Poseidon, and watch the sun set over Athens.
15. Visit Agora (the old market place), once the meeting place of ancient philosophers.
16. Discover the best of ancient and contemporary Athens at the National Archaeological Museum.
17. If you love wine, you will be spoiled for choice at Fabrica de Vino, a popular restaurant with over 400 varieties of Greek wine.
18. Don’t turn in early, stay out and enjoy the nightlife in Athens! Our tip: the Gin Joint, particularly known for its gin tonic, is a good place to get started.
19. Familiarize yourself with Greek history by visiting the temple of Olympieion, also known as the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
20. Watch a show at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus, a fabulous theater which can house up to 5000 people at a time.
21. Go to the restaurant Mezedopoleia in the district of Petralona. This is one of the best places to sample some delicious Greek tapas.
22. Relax with a glass of wine at the Moorings restaurant while enjoying a breathtaking view of the sea.
23. Visit the Plato Academy and the National Library of Greece.
24. Take a break from sightseeing and stop for a cold beer at Barley Cargo.
25. Explore Greek culture and history at the Benaki Museum.
Ever been to Athens? Share your tips with us!