With so many airlines, it’s easy to get confused about the baggage allowances. Between low cost airlines and traditional airlines, like British Airways, there are many differences when it comes to bag dimensions and weight limits. Keep reading to see what you can bring aboard British Airways flights or check out other airlines’ luggage size and weight limits here.
You are allowed one main piece of hand luggage and one personal item (e.g. laptop, handbag). The main piece of cabin luggage can weigh up to 23 kg and have the maximum dimensions of 56 x 45 x 25 cm, including handles, pockets, and wheels. Bag gauges are provided at check-in where you can measure your cabin luggage.
The one piece of personal hand luggage (laptop or handbag) must be fit under the seat in front of you and can have the maximum dimensions of 45 x 36 x 20 cm.
If you are traveling with an infant (under the age of 2), you are allowed one bag per infant. Find more information about infant baggage allowances here.
Hand Baggage Only Fare
British Airways offers a special hand baggage only fare for London Gatwick routes to UK domestic and European shorthaul flights. With this special fare, BA passengers do not have a checked baggage allowance included in the price of their ticket, but still have the same cabin luggage allowance of one main piece of hand luggage and one personal item.
Liquids in Cabin Luggage
There are several rules regarding what can be included in your cabin luggage and what should be left at home. Keep in mind that the word “liquid” encompasses a broader meaning than you might first think. For example lipsticks, hand creams, and deodorants are also considered in this context.
- The liquid must be in a container that has a volume no larger than 100 ml. You can not carry on larger containers even if they are mostly empty.
- All liquid containers must be stored in a 1 liter size transparent plastic bag. The bag must be able to zip shut and can not have dimensions larger than 20 x 20 cm.
- You must take the bag out of your hand luggage to show at the security check at the airport.
The number of checked items and weight depends on the class of travel, but all baggage must have the maximum dimensions of 90 x 75 x 43 cm.
- First Club World Biz Bed (Business): up to 3 bags at 32 kg each (no heavy bag charge will be applied)
- Club Europe (Business): up to 2 bags at 32 kg each (no heavy bag charge will be applied)
- World Traveler Plus (Premium Economy): up to 2 bags at 23 kg each
- World Traveler Y Class (full-fare Economy): up to 2 bags at 23 kg each
- World Traveler Euro Traveler Domestic Eco (Economy): 1 bag at 23 kg
*These allowances apply to all flights except to/from Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and connections between India and USA/Bermuda/Canada
We hope that these tips were helpful and you have a smooth next British Airways flight!