Malaga, a city that amazes its visitors. The daily life in Larios street, the lively conversations between Malagan people, the Plaza de la Constitución and the cultural inheritance fills every corner of the city with stories of emperors and kings. We could have ended the blog post with this but no! We wont stop there of course.
We’ve prepare a list of the top 10 reasons to visit Malaga and to fall in love with this southern city.
1. Roam around the historical city centre and admire the Castillo de Gibralfaro whose origins are from the Phoenician time.
2. Pay a visit to the Malaga of Al-Andalus to see the Alcazaba, a fortress built in the 11th century and where gardens meet tall walls, creating a beautiful environment.
3. In order to test the architectural and historical richness of Malaga, you can go to the Roman theatre, built under the reign of the Emperor César Augusto around the 1st century AC
4. La Manquita, also known as the Catedral de la Encarnacion, is mandatory for anyone visiting Malaga
5. Being in his native city, you can’t leave without visiting the Picasso Museum and admire his work and the evolution of this well known artist
6. It is always interesting to feel like a local in a foreign city and there is no better place to do that than at Mercado de Atarazanas. Pay special attention to the display windows and the door that were built during the Nazari days
7. Enter Carmen Thyssen Museum, inside the Palacio de Villalon and be surrounded by paintings of Fortuny, Goya, Zurbaran, Sorolla, etc. You can also learn more about the paintings by scanning the QR’s placed around the exhibition
8. Take a glass of wine (make sure you have some tapas too) in the legendary winery El Pimpi. If you’re lucky you could meet some of the celebrities who have left their signature on their barrels
9. Eat fried fish or grilled sardines in the bars of Pedregalejo‘s, an old fishermen neighbourhood
10. Stroll through the Botanical Garden of La Concepción
Have we convinced you to travel to Malaga? Do you have any other ideas of what to do in the city? Leave us a comment!