Berlin is one of Europe’s most colorful, dynamic and surprising cities, packed with infinite potential, history and culture. Walk and explore the city’s streets, go clubbing, try the tasty local gastronomy and learn about new trends in music, art, fashion or film. We suggest you avoid your typical sightseeing tours and try these 30 authentic experiences that will let you enjoy the city to the fullest.
1. Watch a karaoke performance at Mauer Park.
2. Explore the fabulous world of KaterHolzig, a social center where you can visit markets, drink a beer in a garden by the river and spend the evening listening to some of the best DJs in town.
3. Go for a swim in the Badeshiff Berlin swimming pool (and don`t leave without trying the delicious veg “roll”!). If you prefer a quiet place instead, head over to Plotzensee, a lake just outside the city.
4. Go for a walk, relax or have a barbecue in Tiergarten, the city’s largest park.
5. Visit the Holocaust Denkmal, an impressive monument raised in memory of all the Jews who died during the Second World War.
6. Climb the TV tower at Alexanderplatz – from here you will have an incredible 360° view of the German capital.
7. Pass the Brandenburg Gate, an important symbol not only of Berlin but also of Germany.
8. Listen to a classical music concert at the Berlin Cathedral.
9. Walk the medieval streets of Nikolai, the oldest residential area of Berlin.
10. Sign up for a Spree river cruise and see Berlin from another perspective.
11. Discover the lively and unconventional Simon-Dach-Strasse, a popular street in the Friedrichshain district (especially recommendable if you’re travelling on a budget).
12. Dance until the break of dawn at the Watergate nightclub or at Berghain.
13. Swing dance at Strandbarmitte.
14. If you’re in the mood for madness and transgression, visit the KitKat Club, a club where anything goes …
15. See the magnificent palace of Sansoucci.
16. Admire the façade of the Bundestag, the German parliament. If you’re hungry, inside you can find a great restaurant with incredible views of the city.
17. Walk around the Gendarmenmarkt and soak up the city’s atmosphere.
18. Cross Checkpoint Charlie, the famous crossing point between the former American and Soviet zones.
19. Try the renowned Berlin street food – currywurst and doner kebabs are a must (one of the best kebabs in town can be found at 32 Mehringdamm).
20. Visit one of Berlin’s most interesting markets located on the Unter den Linden street.
21. If you love shopping, don`t forget to stop at Kurfürstendamm or KaDeWe, a renowned shopping center built in 1907.
23. Explore the Zoo of Berlin, famous for hosting the largest number of species in the world. You should also stop at the Berliner Baer, a green oasis in the center of the city which is home to a group of bears beloved by all Berliners (after all, the bear is the symbol of the city!).
24. Visit Eastside Gallery on Mühlenstraße where you can still see pieces of the Berlin Wall.
25. Go to Potsdamer Platz where you can admire the city’s many skyscrapers. Here you can also find the Sony Centre, home to the yearly Berlin Film Festival.
26. Discover the area around Nollendorfplatz, a gay-friendly neighborhood with enjoyable bars and markets.
27. Rent a bike and go for a ride at the former Tempelhof Airport, a space that has been converted into a park. Go for a run, skate, organize a barbeque or just relax and enjoy the city of Berlin!
28. If you love electronics, you mustn’t miss the famous underground club Farbfernseher, formally a TV shop.
29. Every Wednesday at 18:00 you can participate in the World Language Party – this is a great way to meet people from different cultural backgrounds.
30. Take the metro and experience Berlin underground!
Enjoy your visit!