In October, we brought you behind the curtains to show you what it is like to fly first class with British Airways and this month we want to give you another insider’s view of the first class cabin, but this time aboard Virgin Atlantic. Virgin Atlantic’s first class cabin is appropriately named the Upper Class, as it’s actually on a different level of the plane. From drive thru check in, to the on-board bar to the Clubhouses, Upper Class passengers get the celebrity treatment…keep reading to see what the VA Upper Class treatment really is all about.
How to get to and from the airport
Upper Class passengers can book the private chaffeur service, which will takes them to and from the airport upon take-off and arrival at your destination.
There are 5 options for check-in:
- Mobile check-in
- Online check-in
- Self-service kiosks at the airport
- Traditional check-in at the Virgin Atlantic desk
- Drive thru check-in
Upper Class passengers jump the line at security as they have their own private security corridor that gets them straight to the VA Clubhouse or departure gate in minutes.
Flying in the Upper Class with Virgin Atlantic means a higher baggage allowance. Passengers can take up to:
- 3 pieces of checked baggage at up to 32kg each; maximum dimensions of 90 x 75 x 43cm
- 2 pieces of hand baggage at up to 12kg; maximum dimensions of 23 x 36 x 56 cm
Flying first class means the perks aren’t just on-board, the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses are a prime example as they offer anything and everything to make sure your airport experience is as comfortable and entertaining as possible.
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses (lounges) are open from 7am until the last departure and are available at the following airports:
Heathrow, Gatwick, JFK, Newark, Washington, San Francisco, Boston, Johannesburg, Hong Kong
- Complimentary drinks and cocktails at the bar.
- Complimentary meals from breakfast to burgers, lighter bites, or afternoon tea. There is also a deli that serves granola and cured salmon in the mornings and salads, cheeses and cured meats during the day.
Work & Entertainment
- The whole lounge has free wifi and passengers flying without their computer can request to borrow one.
- “The Den” is the gameroom where passengers can shoot a game of pool or play video games.
- The large multiscreen has a variety of television shows, news, films and sporting events.
Upper Class Suite: 56cm wide, expands to a 84cm wide, 2 meter completely flat bed at the push of a button.
New Upper Class Suite*: 88cm wide seat reclines into a nearly 2.2 meter long bed.
*The New Upper Class Suite is available on VS003 from London Heathrow to New York’s JFK airport and VS004 JFK-LHR.
Upper Class Suite: 26cm personal screen with movies, TV shows, and games.
New Upper Class Suite: 31cm personal touchscreen monitor with jacks to connect your phone, USB, or tablet to watch your own content or charge devices.
- Pre-dinner drinks – try the regularly changing signature cocktail or the refreshment of your choice.
- Food – See a sample menu of all the choices available for meal options here.
- Graze Menu – if you prefer not to have a full meal you can choose from a range of substantial hot and cold snacks you can order to your seat whenever you like
- Bar – The Upper Class Suite is equipped with a bar where passengers can socialize and have a drink or snacks at any hour.
Want to get a 360 tour of the Upper Class? Get a sneak peak at the first class cabin here:
Video by Dubaiification