With so many airlines, it’s very easy to get confused about the baggage allowance… Between the low cost airlines and traditional airlines, like British Airways or easyJet, there are many differences when it comes to luggage dimensions and weight limits.
Keep reading to learn about the latest BA baggage allowance or check out the baggage allowances for other airlines.
British Airways Hand Luggage Allowance
You are allowed one main piece of hand luggage and one personal item (e.g. laptop, handbag, etc.). The main piece of carry on luggage can weigh up to 23 kg and have the maximum dimensions of 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, including handles, pockets, and wheels. Bag gauges are provided at check-in where you can measure your cabin bag.
The one piece of personal hand luggage (laptop or handbag) must fit under the seat in front of you and can have the maximum dimensions of 45cm x 36cm x 20cm.
If you are travelling with an infant (under the age of 2), you are allowed one bag per infant. Discover more about infant baggage allowances.
British Airways Hand Baggage Only Fare
British Airways offers a special hand baggage only fare for selected routes on short and long haul flights. With this special fare, British Airways passengers do not have a checked baggage allowance included in the price of their ticket. The cabin bag allowance remains the same as on other flights; one main piece of hand luggage and one personal item.
Liquids in Cabin Luggage
There are several regulations regarding what can be included in your carry on baggage and what can not. Keep in mind that the word “liquid” covers a broader context than you might first think. For example, makeup, peanut butter, hand lotions, and deodorants are also considered liquids.
British Airways Liquids Guidelines:
- The liquid must be in a container that has a volume no larger than 100 ml. Don’t bring larger containers, even if they are mostly empty.
- Pack all liquid containers in a 1 litre transparent plastic bag. The bag must be able to zip shut and cannot have dimensions larger than 20cm x 20cm.
- You must take the bag out of your cabin luggage to show at the security check at the airport.
British Airways Checked Luggage Allowance
The BA baggage allowance for checked luggage depends on the class of travel, but all baggage must have the maximum dimensions of 90cm x 75cm x 43cm.
- Euro Traveler or World Traveler (Economy) *: 1 bag of 23 kg
- World Traveler Plus (Premium Economy): 2 bags of 23 kg
- Club Europe, Club World, Club World London City (Business): 2 bags of 32 kg
- First: 3 bags of 32 kg
*These allowances apply to all flights except to/from Ghana, Kenya and Nigeria, between Europe and Japan, connecting between India and USA/Bermuda/Canada, originating in Saudi Arabia to USA/Bermuda/Canada, and between London and Doha
British Airways new coronavirus safety measures for 2020
British Airways is committed to keeping their customers safe by introducing these new safety measures for flying during the coronavirus pandemic:
- British Airways encourage all customers to check-in online before arriving at the airport, to keep queues short and minimise human contact.
- If you can’t check-in online, there will be self-service kiosks and bag drop areas at the airport.
- Face masks must be worn at all times, at the airport and throughout the duration of the flight.
- You will be encouraged to self-scan your British Airways boarding pass where possible.
- The air inside British Airways aircraft cabins are completely replaced every 2 to 3 minutes, passing through HEPA filters.
- HEPA filters remove microscopic bacteria and virus clusters with over 99.9% efficiency.
We hope that these BA baggage tips were helpful and you have a smooth journey on your next British Airways flight!
British Airways: One of the top 10 airlines in the world
According to an eDreams annual study, British Airways made it into the top 10 best airlines in the world. British Airways came in at number 5 overall, ranking highly for providing customers with swift refunds during these unexpected times. Click through the images below to see the winners in each category.