If you go to Bali, you go there to eat, pray and love (similar to the movie starring Julia Roberts, which was in part filmed there). Obviously there is a lot more to Bali than that. Read on if you want to find out other facts and curiosities about the island.
1. Bali, the “Island of the Gods”, is one of the 17,500 islands that make up Indonesia. Because of it beaches, Bali it is the archipelago’s main tourist destination.
2. Bali is the only non-Muslim island is the archipelago. It’s inhabitants practice mainly Hinduism.
3. The country lives on tourism, which accounts for 80% of its GDP. Agriculture, mainly rice cultivation, comprises the rest of Indonesia’s GDP.
4. Although football is popular in Bali, cockfighting continues to be the traditional national sport.
5. When it comes to surfing, Kuta is the most popular beach in Bali. Canggu Echo, located further north, is also known to have great waves.
6. The local food is a mix of Indian, Malaysian and Chinese cuisine. Popular ingredients include ginger, chili, palm sugar and tamarind.
7. Ubud, the most cultural city on the island, is said to have the best spas in the world.
Start planning your trip to Bali, Asia, and beyond!